Poohwinn | Technology . Design . Creativity . Web2.0

Saturday, November 22, 2008

X1 Sony Ericsson Xperia : Best Windows Mobile Phone To Date? Is That So?

I'm lucky to have been able to lay my hands on X1 and use it for a few days....here's my personal take on X1. Of course, comments are welcome.

It's uniqueness is really on its panels - so instead of the usual windows mobile screen. One can transform the screens based on his or her preferences or context.

At work - I can choose a more professional Homescreen that shows my appointments and RSS feeds to allow me to keep tabs of the world. However, if I feel very 'zen', I can choose Gold Fish panel to relieve my boredom or stress. Else, outside work, I can simply choose an Entertainment panel that allows me to access my photos, music, videos easily - while still have the start button at the left hand top corner for me to access my program and with one click to get out of the program to go back to the panel.

Phone - hardware itself
1. Easy to hold in the hands and carry around. However, the form factor is a little 'masculine'. I'm referring to the aluminum version that I have. Can't comment on the black version as I've not seen it. However, the finish is good and gives a good appeal to those who want a 'professional and sleek phone'.

2. Battery life seems rather okay - I put my phone on 3G and full push email capability.

3. Keypad - though the buttons appear small - but they are not too difficult to do the 'thumbing'

4. A downside to it is the memory - it internal memory is only 400Mb although it can have an SD card.


5. The speaker quality is clear and audible enough when I played a movie.

6. Compared to most windows mobile phone (or probably most of all the present windows mobile phone), it's a great relief to some who need to have only ONE phone to read email and do some entertainment to have a 3.5mm jack. That means I can plug in my headset and enjoy the music or video. This is a good feature to have.

7. Camera is only 3.2megapixel. Good enough for simple photo-taking but not the key selling point. Samsung has taken that position with its 8megapixal phone.

Phone - software
1. Fundamentally it's a windows mobile phone. It runs on the latest windows mobile v6.1. It includes two web browsers. The default is Internet explorer but a better browser is the Opera 9.5. While browsing is not as easy as iphone to pinch and spread the fingers, Opera is a very good browser for windows-mobile phone to allow easy pan and zoom and it has the tabs functions. It's easy to navigate but unfortunately if you try to click open any link in an email, it will open up in Internet Explorer. There could be some way to set the Opera as default instead but I've not explored it.

2. It is windows-mobile so you can't synch the phone with a cable for movies and music if you are using a MAC. You need to use an adapter and transfer the files manually to the microSD.


3. GPS - it' has this application WayFinder. I've not used it... It does have Google Maps and another applicaiton Quick GPS which helps to speed up the time to determine your GPS position.

4. Panels - that's the 'uniqueness' of Xperia. With a one button click, you can pick and choose the panel depending on what you prefer/want. The response time is considered good. On average it takes about 3 sec for the panel to load. However, you should take note that if the internal memory is used to almost full or if the panel is stored on external storage card, the response time may or may not lengthen. But so far, it's good. What I like is the ease of switching. And if there are more panels being developed in future (probably some may be chargable), that will provide more choice to people. Currently the panel functions are pre-fixed. That is you cannot install additional widgets to run on a particular panels. What you can do is however to customise the chosen panel in terms of colors, the RSS feeds I want to receive, the number of appointments / tasks to show, the application launcher to show on the home screen etc.

5. I've played a 45min episode on the phone. Thought the screen size is not big, it's still for viewing. In fact, amongst all windows-mobile phone, I think this is really one of the top choices.

6. Applications is not an issue. It's windows mobile and there are already many applications for windows mobile....

There is a SDK for developers to develop more panels but currently panels are limited - and at any one point, a user can only have 9 panels loaded onto the phone. And the 'one button' is convenient.

No comments: